A Guide To Serving Someone You Are Having Trouble Locating

If you want to serve someone you are having trouble locating, fret not! This article is for you.

As you may or may not already know, before a defendant comes to court, they must be served by the plaintiff. Every claim that the plaintiff files against the defendant is made known to the defendant, so that they know what to defend (against the claims).

Personal Service

This method is defined as when the process server gives the defendant the legal documents by hand. This method is the largely preferred method of service in most states. If you’re having trouble locating the other party, here are some ways to assist you in your search for the other party’s physical address:

  • Send mail

You could try sending a letter to the last known address of the party with the words “Return Service Requested. Do not Forward.” If it’s been forwarded to the new address, the new address will be on the letter returned to you.

Look for phone numbers or addresses

The Internet is a great source of information. Look the person up on the Internet. Most searches are free and can actually provide all the information you need, like their phone number or multiple possible, addresses. You could also call information for their particulars. If their phone number is already known to you, use a reverse telephone directory. If their address is listed, you can obtain it through this method, too.

  • Hire someone to search for them

Go online to hire someone to search for them. Process Service Network will locate a person anywhere in the world for a reasonable fee.  Contact number is 800-417-7623 or email to julie@processnet1.com.

  • Contact Others

Look for the other party’s friends, family members or employers. You could ask these groups for the person’s contact particulars. Though this is not a surefire method, you could still get information on the city and/or state in which they reside. Many people dislike being served, but they could still be willing to complete the legal action, one example being divorce.

  • Records on property

If you know the individual’s city or state, you could search for property records. The information could be searched by the county tax assessor’s office, and it lists names and addresses. Contacting the county recorder’s office is also an option.

  • Using a separate address

If you find out where the party works, you could locate him/her via their workplace or employer. Process servers that work professionally can serve the potential defendant at a separate address. These parties can also be served at a certain time and place if you are willing to pay for extra costs.

About Process Serving Network

If you are searching for a process server, look no further than Process Service Network. We serve your legal documents anywhere in the world and have a network of process servers with offices in 7 countries. We offer a wide range of different process servicesContact us today for more information.